Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Friday, December 03, 2010

Suspension Corrected

I think I've fixed the clunking and banging that was emanating from the right front of the Strat since shortly after I replaced the original struts last summer.

I picked up another right front strut pretty cheap. - $45 shipped.

I was up early this morning so I figured there was no time like the present.

Got the unit off the car and popped it apart. Found out that the top spring perch that mounts to the actuator rod has a flat spot that is supposed to be lined up with a corresponding flat on the rod. I didn't manage to get that totally correct the first time and it pinched. These springs really need three compressors per spring to get them squished properly for this job and I only have two. I need to pick up another set. When I first put it together, it was tight, but it finally shaved off the piece on the plate and settled. This allowed it to be a tad loose. If I had hit the hold down nut with the impact wrench, It probably would have solved the problem, but whatever.

Now I made sure that the flats were aligned and got it back together again. Jumping up and down on it there is no more weird noises, so it seems OK for the moment. We'll see how long it lasts.

1 Comments:

Blogger Perry Rose said...

That's a good thing. I posted on the Harley site that the nylon valve stem cap is original equip.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home