Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Phew.

Well, it's been a hell of a week. For all of our prayers and good thoughts, Kent died from his injuries on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 at about 3am. Mona and I flew to DFW to be with Amanda and her family. It was an interesting trip, I'll say that. More on that later. The funeral home did what they could, but after the damage and everything else, it wasn't quite right. Conveniently, it was not possible to take a bad picture of Kent or Amanda, so there were many excellent photos to evoke appropriate memories. I was honored to be asked to be a pall bearer and one of the people to read a eulogy at the service. I do miss those people. The service was as perfect as a funeral could be. Our thoughts and prayers are with Amanda as she has a few trials ahead. Right now I'm just whipped from the trip. Below are my remarks from the funeral.

For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Aaron Rose. I currently live in Torrington, Connecticut. I met Kent in early 1997 when I transferred to Paris, Texas within Kimberly-Clark. In the time I knew Kent he taught me many things. How to be a better engineer. How to be a better project manager. How to be a better water skier. How to be a more outgoing person. How to be a better auto-detailer. How attention to detail can make all of the difference. In short, there are few aspects of my life that Kent did not help improve in some way. For all of this I will be eternally grateful to Kent and the people he was responsible for bringing into my life.

Even with his horribly untimely passing, he is reaching out to help me yet again. I had only spoken to Kent once in the last few years since I moved to Connecticut. We were both very analytical people who understood most of this world’s mechanisms. We E-mailed each other now and again but there was always a backdrop of invincibility. A fervent belief that because we understood so much, we could control everything and that there would be plenty of time for small talk later.

I realize now that nothing is more precious than the time we have with the ones we care most about. I will try to never again get up for work without kissing my wife because I know I will see her when I get home. I will try to never again take my parents and sisters for granted because I know I will see them next month. And I will try to never again say, “I’ve got plenty of time.” when it comes to keeping up with old friends.

Kent, once again, like every other time I’ve spoken about, I was blind and you forced me to open my eyes to a better way. For that, I am forever in your debt.

I love ya buddy. And I miss ya.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Done, Aaron. You're so right. Mom

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you too big little brother...:)

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home