Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Friday, December 03, 2010

Durango Trailer Hitch Install, Phase 1

Started mounting the trailer hitch to the Durango this morning.

I got a "Hidden Hitch" as it doesn't add any cross bars that reduce ground clearance in the rear and it is rated the dame as the standard style hitches.

The hitch with this unit is that you have to drill a couple 1/2" clearance holes through an existing cross member for two big mounting bolts.

No problem, thought I. I have a great bit set with all the sizes I need. Unfortunately, after I got the unit mounted and prepared to drill the holes, I noticed that my great bits were not turned down to fit into a 3/8" drive drill.

I thought for a while and decided that I needed to upgrade my drill. The Dewalt corded unit I have has been going strong since I purchased it in 1994. So, Off to the 'Po to pick up it's slightly bigger brother.

I've pretty much decided that you can take you cordless stuff and shove it. For the limited frequency I need drills and such, keeping a battery charged all the time is wasteful.

Plus, as I was about to find out, when you really need torque, 110V, 60Hz is the only way to go.

So, I got home a slapped one of my 1/2" bits into the new drill, which is physically, not much larger than my old unit, and started boring into the cross member.

Shortly thereafter I found out that a great way to ensure you are fully awake is to twist off a 1/2" drill bit while punching yourself vigorously in the face.

I used a pilot drill for the remaining holes and things went much smoother.

Stepping up to a 1/2" drive drill from a 16 year old 3/8 can be pretty entertaining if you're not ready for the kick.

After I finished that up and tightened down all the bolts, I went out searching for a 2" ball with either a 1" or 1-1/8" shank. Had to look at three stores before I finally found the last one that Autozone had.

Torqued it to 250 ft-lbs with the 1-1/2" socket I purchased in about 1994 the last time I needed to torque a hitch ball.

Hooked to the trailer and took it for a short drag. The Durango tows well. Granted there was nothing on the trailer, but it weighs about 2200# by itself.

Now I need to wire the Durango for lights, and trailer brakes and rewire the trailer to get all of that working again.

Maybe next weekend.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Sweet pea said...

Hope you're not bruised for all your travail? At least you'll be able to tow if you have to!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love drill stories.

So what should I look for when I buy a good set of drill bits?

5:19 PM  
Blogger 2Evil4U said...

Mine are just coated High Speed Steel. Have to sharpen them every now and then but they curt pretty well. The coating eventually wears off, but it will help keep them sharp for a while the first time out.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home