Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Call me selfish, but...

I really don't care about the plight of the people affected by the recent tidal wave in Asia.

I don't understand how people who have other things locally to worry about can act like they care about a bunch of drowning victims that would never have affected their lives in the first place.

I need all my available emotional savings to deal with personal issues that happen here as they crop up. I can't waste my limited emotional capital on worrying about whether the actuaries will be 100k deaths off in their predictions for 2004.

I'm sure that there are people who have unlimited empathy and are able to genuinely care about what happens outside of their own spheres of influence. But if there is one thing I learned from my kids it's that I can't fix everything and thinking I can only leads to self-pity.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I guess you've got a point but. . . Nicky and his family were in Thailand for the Christmas Holidays.They were on the other side from the tidal wave. I guess it's just lucky. Noriah and Nicky may have lost some friends who were supposed to be leaving for Phuket (sp). They don't know if their friends are OK. It's still a scary thought, tidal waves, that is. At least we don't have that problem! Of course California could drop into the ocean at any time!

9:17 PM  
Blogger 2Evil4U said...

Thanks for the update. They, I can care about. A hundred thousand faceless entities is another matter.

Now, as far as your point about CA, We can only hope...;-)

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home