Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Friday, March 04, 2005

Microsoft comments.

I think we can all agree that Win98 was an iffy at best operating system. XP seems to be a bit more stable, if bloated. But I found a flaw in XP last evening that I consider pretty significant.

Purchase a FULL copy (Not upgrade) of XP. It say right on the box "For computers with No operating System." So, I booted up a DOS disk, Fdisked C: until it submitted, and tried to load my new version of XP.

Unfortunately, there is nothing on the XP CD that can be read in a DOS environment. So, if you have a computer with no operating system, you can't load XP until you install some operating system that can decode HTML or whatever else Microsoft is trying to do.

I ended up re-installing W98 so I could install XP even though it said I should have been able to load XP onto a computer with no OS.

You'd think they'd give you a 3.5" floppy to boot from that couldstart the process like they did in W98?

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home