Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

One of the few bugs I find more odious than fireants..

Is the gypsy moth. And Jesus are we in the early stages of a moderate outbreak around here. Now, mind you, my description of moderate is tempered by the fact that I witnessed firsthand the worst outbreak in history back in the late '70's early '80's in New England. I remember it looked like winter in July because all the trees had been completely defoliated by those voracious bastards. I remember riding down Starkweather with mom in the Skylark and hearing the caterpillars squelch under the tires.

And today, while pruning my trees, I've heard another sound from the past: the sound of caterpillar shit raining down from trees in my woods.

The little worms are everywhere. I hope somebodydown here is preparing some arial spraying because it's only going to get worse from here.

Of course, there is the little issue of the thousands of displaced criminals to support so I expect little to be done until it's too late.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you've got those horrible gypsy moths down there. There is nothing more gross than to have to keep squishing them when you go out to enjoy your yard, or a walk or just a nice little drive! But squish them you must! Maybe you won't have too many or some other kind of bug or bird will eat them up for you! Bonne Chance!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home