Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Well, that's one data point.

First run, 3.145 miles in 30 minutes and 1 second. Gps tracking was helpful as it showed me that I usually start out at about a 7 minute pace. That explains why I usually die in the first mile.

I slowed the pace down to about 9 and was able to run the first 1.8 miles with no real issues until the meniscus in my right knee started acting up again. It hasn't done that since I was fitted for these running shoes. So I ended up walking most of the next mile while attempting to run after the knee calmed down.

Since it wasn't getting much better, I started stretching it out by really increasing my stride length and kicking a bit on liftoff. Strangely, the pain went away. (I'm sure the 40F temps didn't help it too much either.)

I guess I need to start using a much longer stride and a lower turnover rate rather than the short stride and high turnover that has seemed to be the most efficient as far as energy conservation goes.

That's why I'm practicing, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home