Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta...

I think I am the Anti-Nerd.

All of the hype lately about the film releases of "Hitchhikers guide to the Full Size Ford" and "Star Wars, Episode 72, Darth took his ball and went home", and, I have to confess I just DGAF.

I've always considered myself to be reasonably geeky. My favorite movie of all time is Mike Judge's, "Office Space". (It's playing on my 34" Sony Flat CRT as I type.) I love everything Quentin Tarrantino has ever done. (The Kill Bill saga shows him to be one of the greatest film makers in history.)

But I've never read any Tolkien. I've listened to some of the Middle Earth series on CD, but I've never found the time to care about it enough to read it. (Now, Clive Barker, or Brian Lumley, I've read about every word they've ever published.)

Currently I'm plowing through a text by John Lewis Gaddis. It's a history of the Cold War and why we won. Esoteric, yes. Geeky, No.

I haven't even watched an episode of ANY Star Trek series in more than 6 years. "Seconds from Disaster", "Megastructures", and "Modern Marvels" maybe, but no serials. (Other than NASCAR. And don't start with me about Michael Waltrip. David Greene deserved what he got.)

I'm not sure when it happened, but I guess I found a life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a clue? I'll just tell you that I'm listening to Tom Wolfe's I am Charlotte Simmons. So far it is really vulgar but, I can't help myself, it makes me laugh. I listen to it when I work out. I've finally finished Dylan Thomas reading Dylan Thomas. That was hard work! I might have to go back to reading Galsworthy, Hardy and Trollope one of these days. I think that I'll look for Shakespeare on CD.I find that I can read three books at a time if one is in French, one in English and one on tape. It's neat!

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home