Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Dynamic Balancing of Automotive Wheels

I am here to extol the virtues of dynabeads. They've been in the TKCs on the GSA since I purchased it and those tires run very well. And considering the spoked rear wheel that came on the bike OEM required nearly 3-ounces of lead on the rim to balance it, that's pretty good.

I wanted to do my own tires on my dodge as I have a Harbor Freight tire unit and am sick of paying for service if I can do it myself. (Plus, it saved about $250 on the set of tires.)

I dug around and found a few videos purporting to show how the dynabeads work as it kinda seems like voodoo when you first think about it.

Here's a few links:



and click here.

So I ordered my new tires, mounted them on Tuesday of last week and left the OEM weights on. Not bad. No noticeable vibration and the new shoes are much better all around than the 62000 mile ones that just came off.

The dynabeads came in on Wednesday. I installed them yesterday morning by re-busting the tire bead and pouring them in. The through the valve stem method is enough to make you want to kill yourself.

Total added was about 5-ounces per tire as recommended. I also removed about 6 total ounces of lead from the wheels that had been used by Dodge.

I took her out for a spin and as odd as it seems, even though it was more than "good enough" before, it actually seems smoother now. There is noticeably less noise in the cab than even with the new tires alone.

This is total butt-dyno observation, but I don't think I'll ever use weights to balance any of my tires again.

Anybody have any knowledge of anywhere that might deal in Zirconia Grinding Media? Supposedly, that's all Dynabeads are and if you find a wholesaler they can be had WAY cheaper.

Example dealer.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I thought the video was neat!

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Sweet Pea said...

Of course the comment was from Sweet Pea! Just another computer glitch!

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home