Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

You sometimes do get what you pay for

I've always been a firm believer in paying a little more now to avoid paying more later. In the Reliability Field, that's called looking at the Total Life-Cycle Cost of something.

My new tires for example. $925 is a lot of coin to drop at one time. But I'll get another 65000 miles out of them. I'm only driving about 10000 miles per year with the truck so I won't have to change tires for nearly seven more years. So, my cost of ownership of the tires is 1.42 cents per mile or $142/year.

So for $11.89/month I can drive on a set of the best tires on the market.

I could have purchased a set of Firestones for $680. In my experience with Firestones, while adequate, they rarely last more than 36000 miles. That works out to an amortized cost of 1.9 cents per mile or $189/year. Additionally, I'll have to expend another 90 minutes of my time changing them compared to the Michelins.

So, for an extra $250 now, I avoid $545 of additional tire cost and 90 minutes of labor over the life of the Michelins.

I'll drink to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home