Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Big Drive, Small Car.

So our middle daughter is transferring to Korea for a year at the end of July. She is currently stationed at Travis AFB about halfway between Sacramento and San Francisco.

I'll be flying out on Thursday, July 28 to pick up her car, guns and other valuables that she doesn't want to leave in storage. I'll then be driving back home to store it on my ever-expanding used car lot in Slaughter until she gets back.

The car is a 2010 Honda Civic so economy shouldn't be a problem.

I was planning to just blast home as quickly as possible, but now that I'm thinking about it, I may find an alternate route.

The obvious path would be this one:

Link to map.

But I've already driven that in it's entirety when we delivered her to the base and ridden it in part on the two trips to Vegas I've made. It is not very entertaining.

So, I'm thinking more about this route:

Link to other map.

Basically, instead of taking I5 south to I40, I'd head northeast a bit and catch RT 50 just outside Sacramento. Then I'd ride 50 all the way to Dodge City, KS and just head south from there through Oklahoma.

I'll need to do 800+ miles per day to get home by Sunday so I can get back to work.

I'm thinking if I leave shortly after I arrive on Thursday, I can make it to Ely, NV without too much trouble and get a decent sleep before hitting the road early Friday. I'd like to do as much of this drive in the day as possible as the scenery should be pretty decent.

Shoot for Pueblo, CO for Friday night. and Pueblo to Slaughter on Saturday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sweet Pea said...

Not even asking, just stating," You are crazy." Three days is not enough time for that trip having to stay awake and sharp alone. Why not just ship it! She could also mail out the other odds and ends. It isn't even cost or health effeective! You just want to do it! Pain in the butt.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home