Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Scary stuff from the world of science and medicine

This article gave me chills. It deals with something of which, for some unknown reason, I've always harbored a grave fear. The thought that "vegetative" patients are actually fully mentally functional but have no ability to make their bodies do anything is dreadful to me.

These doctors have just proven that it can happen. Some of these people are fully aware of their surroundings but cannot not interact except within their minds. How can you pull the plug knowing that?

In 'vegetative state' patients, brain scanners show some alert minds

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sweet Pea said...

I read that article in the paper and that is very scary but I believe that many nurses have known or at least surmised it for a long time. When Ma Tante was comatose the nurse told me to talk to her and hold her hand because she could very well be aware of what was going on.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home