Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Sunday, January 09, 2011

That'll teach 'em...

To scar my face.

I decided to hit the front brakes this morning as I didn't like how the truck stopped. The rotors, which may be original, were completely pitted with rust and therefore not making very good contact with the pads.

Back to Autozone for rotors and pads. After I finished swapping out the parts, I sucked most of the nasty brake fluid from the reservoir and started flushing that system with my vacuum bleeder. About half way through I had to run to the dollar store for more brake fluid, but now the fluid is much cleaner than the green/black crap that had been in it. I'm certain that it was the original 14 year old fluid.

The truck stops much more readily now. The pedal has a little more travel than I like, but with all the work I've done on the brakes I'm going to give it a few weeks of Mona driving it before I decide to re-bleed the system.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sweet Pea said...

Oh for goodness sake, bleed the bloody things!

6:29 PM  
Blogger 2Evil4U said...

I may not have to. After I did the fronts and rears on the Durango, the pedal was soft, but firmed up markedly after a week or so as the new parts seated.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home