Cynicallous

A light, airy, effervescent, blog of grave consequence. (NOT!) Dedicated to those of us who must respond to negative stimuli by Chernobyling (entombing in concrete) our innermost thoughts.

Name:
Location: Slaughter, Louisiana, United States

A semi-gruntled corporate reliability engineer trying to make ends meet while keeping my wife happy, and myself out of the asylum.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Nothing like a salt lick

So my 1997 Jeep Cherokee has cancer. I've already replaced all of the rear brakes because of it. Now the biggest piece of rot on the body is the rocker panel on the drivers' side. This isn't new. It's been obvious since I purchased the vehicle, but I've finally got everything else the way I want it and it is time to get this repaired before it goes any farther.

Here is a picture of what it looks like from the outside. Pretty rusty.

Photobucket

After an hour or so of hacking at it with tin snips, cutting pliers, a chisel and hammer I'm left with this:

A pile of crap: (you can see the replacement panel under the truck.)

Photobucket

And a hole that has to be filled:

Photobucket

Luckily, I suppose, the existing panel is basically solid at the main body panel bend. That will be where I trim to with the rotary cutter. Plus, it allows the remaining tin to keep most of its rigidity and shape during the repair process.

The inner rocker panel is pretty thin at the rear, under the rear door. I may scab a reinforcement piece in while I've got it open.

Now I need to powerwash the hole to remove as much crud as possible. Then I need to clean the rust that's left as much as possible and find some etching/weldable primer to try to prevent what I can't cut out from becoming worse.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sweet Pea said...

Stop already.Puppy's Pop will want to be on a flight this afternoon to help out!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have sone stuff that stops rust left over from the El Camino project. I'll packe it nice and quiet and send it down.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home